Au.E! is an initiative to build the resilience of Rangatahi, supported by Te Puni Kōkiri. The first of four Au.E! was held at Kensington Stadium Whangarei. The day was full of Northland style manaakitanga, aroha, kaitiakitanga, mātauranga, whakapapa…everything! Rangatahi were asked, “What are the key messages you received?
Over 80 Rangatahi had the opportunity to participate in eight workshops: Basketball, Makeup, Nutrition & Fitness, Raranga, Barbering, Art, Music and a Slow Motion Video Booth. With keynote speaker Kenny McFadden, renown Basketball Coach and mentor to Steven Adams.
Rangatahi were asked, “What is a key message you would take away from Au.E?” Here are some of their responses:
• Never give up and stick to your dreams
• Asking for help is ok
• Build relationships
• It can teach me to help others if in need
• To be confident in myself
• You are beautiful regardless
• Don’t be afraid to step outside the box
• I loved raranga because I got the chance to learn another thing to do with my Māori culture and add it into my kete
• Music is passion and is a way to communicate feelings and emotions
When teachers and parents were asked “What are the key messages you heard at Au.E?” They said:
• Support each other
• A safe place to express yourself
• Communication doesn’t have to be verbal
Please click here to watch the Au.E! Ki Whangarei video.