- This event has passed.
Kaitiaki Ahurea Wānanga – Porirua
24/06/2019 | 8:30 am - 25/06/2019 | 5:00 pmFree
Kaitiaki Ahurea 2019 is NZQA accredited Level two training course offered by Te Rau Ora.
Kaitiaki Ahurea offers a programme to improve public health and health promotion knowledge and leadership skills to people who are working with Māori communities.
This course is offered to non-Māori and Māori workforce and whānau Māori who work in Public Health, health promotion and communities with a specific interest in enhancing Māori Health outcomes. The course includes the following:
- Māori cultural principles
- Cultural dimensions of illness and wellbeing
- Historical perspectives of Māori and Health Promotion
- Māori perspectives of Health Promotion Campaigns
- Rational for Health Promotion
- New Zealand Public Health Policy
- New Zealand Health Promotion Frameworks
- Identifying Challenges with health promotion campaigns
- Key aspects in health promotion delivery to Māori communities
Desired Learning Outcomes
To increase the knowledge and understanding of health promotion from a Māori Cultural context.
To establish tools and skills to implement health promotion activities appropriate for Māori communities.
A two-day wānanga can be adapted according to time and frequency, and for either separate or combined Māori and non-Māori.
Wānanga will involve one or two days for learning and one or two-day wānanga where you will be expected to complete two assessments which will be held on the 1 August 2019 (details to be advised):
- a kete (collection) of health promotion resources and
- Group presentation
- Dr Maria Baker (Te Rau Ora Pouwhakahaere Matua Chief Executive Officer) PhD MPhil, Nursing; Grad Dip Māori Development; PG Dip MH Nursing; Grad Cert Clinical Teaching; Workplace Assessor
- Valerie Williams (Te Rau Ora Kaimanaaki) MN Masters Nursing (Mental Health Endorsement)
- Witeria (Witi) Ashby Te Rau Ora Kaumatua
Resources will be supplied
Professional Development Hours
- Wānanga: 20 hours (including assessment)
- Self-directed learning: 10 hours
TOTAL: 30 HOURS
IMPORTANT TO NOTE:
24 June 2019 – Please arrive no later than 8:45am for the powhiri which will commence at 09:00am
25 June 2019 – Day Two will commence at 08:30am – 5:00pm
Valerie Williams: firstname.lastname@example.org